Wednesday, March 16, 2005

28 years...

Happy Birthday to Me.

A cold winter day in Cleveland, Ohio, 28 years ago, a skinny little baby girl was born 3 weeks before she was expected.

And the world has never been the same. =)

What I have learned during this last year?

I've learned that nothing - NOTHING - can be taken for granted.
Not life, not health, not wealth, not employment, not respect, not trust, not comfort or safety, not even a good movie.

This has been a hard year. Lest I rehash things and make me sad on my own birthday, I won't list things that have made the year hard - I'll list the things that made the year good.

These are in no chronological order.
My nephew Andrew said my name for the first time.
My niece Katie made Jazz Band and has her own IM so we can chat after school.
My niece Lauren's soccer team went undefeated for their season.
My niece Julia started preschool.
Another Andrew and his brother Reece stole a piece of my heart.
I saw that my friends have really cute kids, and that these same friends make really good parents.
In a suprising turn of events, I lost my job that I loved only to have it replaced by a job where I am respected, treasured, and challenged.
I found out that friendship really can last across time zones.
I grieved more than I can remember - for loss of life and potential of life. In the grieving, I learned that it really is okay to be angry with God, and to not have to seek immediate resolution.
I put over 20,000 miles on my car, and it's still running great!
I went to the Sugar Bowl (WAR EAGLE!) and Mardi Gras.
I got "gutsy" during Mardi Gras and joined the masses rushing the floats in order to get the good "throws." best accomplishment: 2 coconuts during the zulu parade. Worst loss: a rubber chicken, grabbed from just-out-of-my-reach by anonymous drunk college guy.
I ate beignets unsuccessfully every time - and didn't care. (For those who have never experienced the beignet, it is a puff of dough fried and then COVERED in powdered sugar. Made famous by Cafe du Monde in the French Quarter of New Orleans. To eat is successfully is to walk away from the table with minimal powdered sugar on YOU. Like I said, I failed miserably every time. Simply breathing near the things causes a shower of powder.)
I moved near waht-eh. ("Water," for those who don't speak "Becky-ese.")
I learned how to speak my voice, even - especially - when I've been hurt or wronged.
I began to trust again.
I began to believe in myself again.
I found and joined a wonderful United Methodist Church, and was embraced wholeheartedly by my new family.
I remembered how nice it is to have a pastor.

I encountered grace.

I found myself beautiful, for the first time.

I am learning to be content with letting things take their own course.
I am learning to enjoy the journey.
I am learning to question things I used to assume.
I am learning to let people be who they are, instead of making them be who I need them to be.
I am learning to be who I am, instead of who people need/expect/want me to be.
I am learning that I really don't have to be perfect, even for myself.

I am learning how to accept grace.

I am learning how to live, and loving every minute of it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jules said...

Happy Birthday dear friend. This is a great list. A lot to be thankful for. Nice to see someone do this for their birthday (often happens at Thanksgiving or New Years). I hope you have a fun, relaxing, blessed day.

12:40 PM  
Blogger Becky said...

Thanks, love. It's been a good day. I treated myself to a haircut, color & highlights last night, so i'm "feeling pretty." Max is coming down tonight for dinner, so that'll be fun. It was great to see you this weekend.

1:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home