Thursday, February 16, 2006

Forrest Gump had it right

One of the phrases that has been stuck in my mind lately (usually when I'm feeling sorry for myself) is this: this isn't the way my life was supposed to go.

Insert any variety of situations I find myself in, and the pity party is off to a great start.

3 days ago, my valentine - 6 year old Allie Kate - gave me a box of chocolates. My only valentine gift, if you don't count the valentine card from "my babies" in ohio. I was grabbing a chocolate last night as I was reheating my macaroni & cheese for dinner, bemoaning the fact that the chocolates didn't come with a "guide" to tell me which ones had good stuff inside & which ones i'd be happier avoiding.

and then it hit me - DAMN. Forrest Gump was right. life IS like a box of chocolates: you never know what you're gonna git.

and as much as i didn't want to admit it, it was kinda fun taking the risk of grabbing the first chocolate my hand landed on, and biting in with all my energy as if i knew exactly what i was getting. and you know what, it wasn't what i would have chosen, but i chewed it up, made a sour face, and got on with life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home