Tuesday, December 06, 2005

just a thought

my job these days is to coordinate the collection & distribution of toys to children affected by the storm.

I've connected with folks around the country to send the toys, and folks around the state to receive them. One local connection is the Jackson Public Schools, which has been severely affected by white flight of Jackson. It has also received over 700 students evacuated by Katrina.

So far, these were just 700 children that needed toys. I am working my tail off to make sure that they each get something, but was preparing myself for not being able to reach all of them.

And then, today - at my simple-minded request... I received a list of the gender breakdown by the schools the children are enrolled in. (To help me distribute the right boxes to the right schools.)

But...

some of the schools listed the names of the children for whom we are seeking gifts.

It's alot easier for me to say "the children at xyz elementary school might not receive presents."

It is heartbreaking (and possibly bank-breaking) for me to say "Deshun, Hakeen and Marquez might not receive presents"

I want each child - children who are relative strangers to me, but to whom I feel a great responsibility - to receive a gift. For in that small way - they might know the love of God - and know that in the midst of the craziness their life has turned out to be - they are not alone.

I want this for the children at xyz elementary school, for Deshun, Hakeen, and Marquez. for all of the children on all 4 pages of my list, for all of the children who question whether or not Santa will find their home because they had to move. for all of the children who will wake up on Christmas morning and wonder if there was enough money left over after the groceries were bought to buy them a present. for all of the children who feel abandonded - I want them to feel loved, even if the only way we can figure out how to do it is to give them a small present for Christmas.

I want this, and so much more, for these beautiful children. Beautiful not because their genetics made them that way, but beautiful because they are the imago dei. The very image of God among us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home