Wednesday, February 15, 2006

My First Press Conference

Today, I was part of a press conference to speak out against FEMA's decision to discontinue payment for hotel rooms for Katrina evacuees. I was there specifically on behalf of the United Methodist Church, and since our Bishop couldn't be there, I was the next-bext-representative.

GOLLY! (yes, i'm southern now)... I was nervous. But, not 'cause I was unsure of myself or the cause. I knew I was with a group of women (plus one guy!) who were equally committed to justice, and being in such a crowd alleviates fears. I only stumbled a few times over my words - more so when I was speaking to the person from Mississippi Public Broadcasting. microphones make me nervous.

My speech: (i don't speak very well w/o notes, so this was my prepared remarks... actual content may have changed in light of the microphones in my face and the video camera/MPB reporter standing in front of me)

In the gospel accounts of jesus’ life, we are given many accounts of jesus’ love for children and his respect for persons who are the outcasts of society: the widow, the inmate, the orphan, the leper, and especially the child. It was to these people that jesus paid special attention and showed extraordinary care.

We are all familiar with the scripture in which Jesus challenges his followers to see his own likeness in what he called “the least of these” – persons who are hungry, in prison, sick, or naked.

Hurricane Katrina brought to light the outcast in our modern society: persons who are poor, persons who cannot afford their own method of evacuation, and people who have been forced to live in a hotel for the past 6 months.

It would be very easy for us as a community of faith, and individually, as people of faith, to leave these decisions to the folks in Washington, and even to the folks right down the street.

However, we have been given the moral responsibility and calling to speak out on behalf of the least of these in our own state. As United Methodists, we are urged by our heritage and discipline to work for justice on behalf of others. As people who follow the example set by Christ, we are called to create a world in which all children are empowered and enabled to grow up into the people God created them to be. For us, that means having a good school to attend, having a safe home in which to live, having food to eat when they’re hungry, having medical care when you’re sick, and having safe neighborhoods in which to play.

It is important that we continue to work for justice on behalf of God’s children in our midst, and for God’s children whom we will never meet. For if we truly believe that we are all God’s children – equally loved and cherished, then there is much work to be done – by all of us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home