Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Email from today

Hello All.

I've talked with a friend today who didn't evacuate. She was able to get back to my work/home. the buildings are still there. first floor flooded, but the roof & walls of the second floor (my apartment) are intact. She couldn't get to my apt., but she said the other 1/2 of the 2nd floor looked okay. She thinks a few of my windows may have busted through.

The grounds & other buildings are all covered in mud - 2-3 inches inside and surrounded outside. the playgrounds are all destroyed, and the trees of the property are now part of the playground. a house that sat near our property is now in the road NEXT to our property.

my boss carols' condo complex was completely destroyed.

So, far, everyone I know is fine. We're still waiting to find out if some of our co-workers who stayed are still fine. hopefully that word will come in the next few days as communication improves.

It's completely surreal to be watching & hearing of such devastation coming from my own neighborhood & from my friends. It's almost unfathomable. I feel the desire to cry, but hold it back because I don't know that I could stop. I feel really lucky that my house didn't collapse, but feel horrible that Carol's did. Why did mine get spared?

Folks are asking me what they can do to help - I don't have anything specific at this point, without knowing what damage (if any) was actually done to my apartment & contents. I'll send word as I'm able to get it. As for rebuilding/restoring Moore, it'll be a while before we can get in to clean. My friend Amanda said it looks like the atomic bomb went off. Most of the roads are destroyed or gone. Rumor has it that the entire town of Bay St. Louis is gone.

How do you rebuild your life after it's been destroyed?

Feeling grateful and horrified,

Becky

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home