Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Melancholy

I lost a friend recently. Don't worry - she didn't die. She just decided not to be my friend anymore - in defense of another friend.

I am reminded of this every day. Every time I see my email box with no reply to my various emails to her - some personal, some professional. Every time I look at my calendar & see events at which she - in another life - would have been present. Every time I miss her family & company. Every time I look at my wedding guest list, inviting old & new friends to this wonderful event, knowing that this same event is forever linked to what caused me to lose her friendship.

I went on a date with her friend the weekend before Max & i got back together. It was a good date. I had no idea max was "coming around" and I was attempting to get on with my life, knowing - whether or not i admitted it - that i would give him/us another chance as soon as he "came around."

and the date was hurt by the bad timing of life.

and the date eventually came to a "i'm sorry this happened, but i genuinely hope you're happy" moment.

the friend has yet to speak to me.

(max, btw, thinks the whole thing is funny - losing a friend notwithstanding)

i felt bad about it then, and i still feel bad about it now. 'cause every day there's another reminder of what happened.

i wish i could just let go - forget what happened and blissfully plan my wonderful wedding and look forward to my new, wonderful life. (imagine happy melody playing/head-bobbing while reading that sentence... it makes it funnier)

why? why do i find this friendship - new as it was, relatively speaking - so hard to get past? why do i feel the need to continually apologize to someone who was not directly involved? why do i feel the need to beat myself up for marrying max?

i haven't lost a friend in a while. I've let some simmer on the back burner, and let some fade away as life moves on. I haven't been in the situation where someone decides - you have committed an offense so great that I can no longer talk to you or be your friend, and i will not even talk with you about this decision.

a friend of mine recently decided that she was no longer going to be friends with a guy. she told him. they talked about it. and talked about it. and talked about it.

which way is healthier? cold turkey, or belaboring a point?

this much I know: cold turkey hurts like hell. i miss my friend. i miss sharing things with her and gaining wisdom from her boldness. i miss her daughter - a treasure of a child.

so - learn this today - if you are upset with a friend - deal with it. don't shut them out.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jules said...

Hmm, I don't know if either one would have left you feeling better, but you possibly could have had more closure if you guys had talked about it. I don't know how you calmly talk about about not being friends anymore, though. It might have turned into a fight, and that would have been emotionally distressful too. Meaning, if someone is going to be mad enough to end the relationship, how can they be calm enough to sit down and have a nice little convo about it?

I know how you feel, though, feeling like you never really got to defend or explain yourself.... and to feel like you didn't really deserve it (although knowing you deserve someone cutting you off might be a little worse, because you feel so badly about yourself). I know it really sucks for you, and I'm sorry for that.

12:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home